27 million Americans have osteoarthritis (OA).
Direct medical costs resulting from OA total $185 billion a year in the U.S.
- insurers pay $149.4 billion
- patients pay $36.1 billion out-of-pocket
- Avg. woman: $1,400 a year
- Avg. man: $700 a year
- 25-30% of persons aged 45-64 years
- 60% of persons older than 65 years
- Over 80% of persons older than 75 years
Chance you will develop OA in at least one knee: 46%
Between 1996 and 2006:
- cost of arthritis meds rose from $4.2 to $13.2 billion
- number of prescriptions for OA rose from 164 to 231 million
In 2030 the last baby boomer turns 65
In 2030 an estimated 25% of Americans will have osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis is chronic joint inflammation.
Let’s get better.